Friday, October 8, 2010

In the Round





Little did I know but you're not supposed to take pictures inside La Bourse de Commerce.  Fortunately for me, no one insisted that I delete this shot.  Although the building  is open to the public, it's not really a tourist site.  That being said, if you're in the neighborhood (due north from the rue de Rivoli on the rue du Louvre in the 1st arrondissement), go inside and take a peek.  The ceiling is covered with a spectacular 19th century fresco depicting global commerce; the images are just so classically European centric that it's kind of a hoot even though it was clearly meant to be monumental and serious.

2 comments:

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Lovely shot and now I will not feel compelled to sneak one. I have walked right past this building but never thought to enter. Now I will -- to see the fresco and glass-domed ceiling.

Bon weekend!
Genie

Philippa said...

Reminds me of the time my husband and I wandered into the Bourse and wandered out again...by the wrong door. We set off an alarm. Fortunately, this was before 2001, or perhaps we might have been arrested. At the time, a few people simply raised their eyebrows at us. Even then, we thought the security was a trifle casual

Related Posts with Thumbnails