Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ça Veut Dire Quoi?

Shopping tip:

If you are looking for one of these in Paris:


Don't ask for a teddy. 
Because if you do, you will likely be shown one of these:


For some reason, these American style letter jackets called teddies are all the rage among young Parisiennes at the moment.  The other day, one of my kids pointed out a lady wearing one with the letters "BS" on it and asked, "Mom, do you think she knows what BS means?" 

Anyway if you've got an old letter jacket in the back of your closet (or that of your boyfriend, husband, or brother), time to pull it out again.  And another thing, do jocks still wear letter jackets these days?  They did when I went to high school but then it's been awhile.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've noticed this! If you go to Citadium, they have almost an entire floor devoted to these jackets. So bizarre how certain American trends become popular so suddenly and so many years later.

Jessica said...

I dont think they do letters anymore (Im guessing you mean T for track or F for football). When my bro got his awhile back (15years ago) they just gave him a patch with the school crest or whatever (first time I ever saw the crest). Least at my school that's how it was done...

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What does BS mean? And what is a Jock? A Jock in the Uk can mean a Scottish person !!

Anne said...

Jessica: A school letter is a block letter with the school initial (for example, a big W for West High School). It's the same letter whether your sport is football or track or whatever.

Anne: Bullshit! (Is that too blunt for a family friendly blog?) And a jock in American parlance is an athlete but it's usually reserved for someone for whom sports is their entire identity. It's short for .....well, you can use your imagination as that is quite enough non family friendly language for one day.

Starman said...

It has been a couple of years since I was in high school, but I haven't seen since of these anywhere, in a long, long time.

Bigfish said...

My son, the football jock (sorry Scotsmen)never got one of those jackets (which were VERY hot when I was in high school). Now they get hoodies ... (Am I using another confusing term? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've noticed these, too, and wondered the same thing. Although I think they were already kind of passé when I was in hight school... 15 years ago. Eep. But you never know when things are going to come back in style.

Related Posts with Thumbnails