Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Not Found in Nature


I see some of the most amazing sights in Paris just walking down the street. I mean, they're walking down the street. I'm talking about young girls in crazy get ups, older men in ascots, and grande dames with their furs and artfully arranged French twists. And it's almost impossible for me to get out my camera, adjust the settings, and get the shot before they cross the street or just walk by in the other direction, off into the sunset, lost forever.

I thought it was going to be another one of those lost opportunities the other day. I was waiting for the Métro with one of my kids and this lady, with the orangiest orange hair I have ever seen, sauntered down the platform, in her leather pants and leather gloves, and her jaunty multicolored scarf with the same unbelievable orange tones in it. It was my good luck that she sat solo across the aisle from me when we boarded the train and I was able to take pictures of my kid with orange hair lady in the "background." I cropped my kid out (plenty of those photos at home) and I'm pleased as punch to share this photo, in part as an offering for all those other missed moments.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne, like you I see people with orange hair everywhere......


....and they don't know they look weird!

MJ said...

I love her. It takes some serious confidence to walk down the street like that. I hear you on the missed moments, too. We fumble for the camera for even a second and they're gone..

Congrats on catching one.

debbie in toronto said...

pretty sure I had hair that colour once...not on purpose of course...crazy pictures on the box are never exact..

well it must make her happy...

Starman said...

Maybe she's color-blind and thinks it's blonde.

Belle de Ville said...

Just additional proof of the fact that the women in Paris are not the world's best dressed.

Gerald (SK14) said...

Hehe - I used to take my son on photoshoots for just such a purpose - alas he doesn't come with me now.

MJ said...

They like fire engine red in Germany and and purplish red in the Netherlands. Never could get over it.

LostNCheeseland said...

hhaha You managed to get a good shot! There are so many times when I see the most extreme and out there styles in the metro, but I never have a camera nor a discrete way of capturing the moment!

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

What a fantastic catch!!

It's interesting to observe how Parisian women seem to be about fashion conformity when they are younger but as they age, the more outstanding one can be, the better! This is a wonderful example. :)

Shannon said...

I don't think this is a matter of confidence, unless it's the over-confidence of her hairdresser. This is clearly a tragic accident. I speak from personal orangutan-orange-ordeal experience... no one looks like this on purpose my friends.

Another death-by-dye, may she RIP.

Badaude said...

It's a pretty standard colour for older Parisiennes, along with that shade of purple that's meant to be auburn but is more aubergine. I was caught once this way too (http://tinyurl.com/yfg8zhb)

Related Posts with Thumbnails