Friday, January 9, 2009

News "Coverage"

I've never been a big fan of TV news. It's so much more efficient to read the newspaper or even listen to the radio and plus it's usually just plain boring. And though I've heard that watching the news in French would be a big plus for my language skills, I can't seem to get into the habit. The only time I end up watching the news is when I go to the gym where it's hard to ignore the monitors above the cardio machines. Watching is the operative word because there isn't any sound coming out of those monitors. Since I can't lip read French, the only thing that's really made an impression is that 1) the French must love off road car rallies because the coverage is extensive and 2) the sports anchors are, shall we say, much more casually attired than those in the U.S. Just so you don't think I'm exaggerating, get a load of this photo of Infosport anchor, Christine Carnaud:



And again, somewhat more conservatively dressed:



In contrast, two female anchors from ESPN's SportsCenter, lest you think it unfair to compare Carnaud with say, Katie Couric or Barbara Walters. (Note: I don't have a clue as to their names but I'm sure they're all fine journalists.)




I can't find anything on-line about Carnaud except for lots of other provocative photos and the fact that she was a model before becoming a news personality. I can assure you, however, that she's not the only one reading the news in outfits that are off the shoulder, down to there, or secured with just a string. Maybe if I were a guy, watching the news wouldn't be so boring after all.

1 comment:

Starman said...

But you have to admit that mademoiselle Carnaud is very attractive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails