Monday, June 9, 2008

Plugged In

Since moving to France, my television time has dropped precipitously and I don't listen to the radio very much anymore either. But lately, I've been enjoying downloading podcasts from two programs on public radio in the States, Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me and This American Life. Wait Wait was a staple while driving around doing Saturday morning errands back in DC and we even went to a taping when we were in Chicago last year for a family vacation. I knew of This American Life but rarely took the time to tune in and listen to it in its entirety. Now they keep me company as I walk to and from the gym several times a week.

It's a very odd incongruous experience to be walking down a Parisian street listening to the news, jokes, and stories from the world on the other side of the pond. I'll pass by a cafe where two men sit smoking and sipping their espressos while hearing about a lost child in turn of the century Louisiana. The man at the raw bar is getting ready for the day, slicing lemons and arranging oysters, while someone in Kansas tries to win National Public Radio newscaster Carl Kasell's voice on their home answering machine.

In 10 minutes, I'm at my destination. The earbuds come out, the iPod goes back in its case, and the audio and video of my life in Paris resynch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait, Wait is one of my favorites, and I am so glad NPR downloads for free. In two months, I expect it will also keep me company in Paris, while I do the same as you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails